Friday, March 12, 2010

Profound

So, I thought to myself it has been awhile and I should make a twitter post just to do so. The thing is with these social sites I often don't have a lot to say. Most of the time I'm not a talkative person. I don't feel the need to share most of the time. There some things I talk about as more of a warning or a hey look what this person did. My opinion on something rather than my opinion on myself. So when trying to come up with anything to say I thought about the word profound.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/
Main Entry: pro·found
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French parfunt, profond deep, from Latin profundus, from pro- before + fundus bottom — more at pro-, bottom
Date: 14th century
1 a : having intellectual depth and insight b : difficult to fathom or understand
2 a : extending far below the surface b : coming from, reaching to, or situated at a depth : deep-seated <a profound sigh>
3 a : characterized by intensity of feeling or quality b : all encompassing : complete <profound sleep> <profound deafness>

Often when most people talk on these blogs or something like twitter we are trying to do one of two things. Either we are trying to convey something or gain something. An individual may want to convey their feelings in general or about feelings about something (including themselves). Then there is gain where the individual wants to gain readers so he knows what he conveys reaches someone or a group/company is trying to gain an opportunity (generally an opportunity to gain money).

So why the word profound? It is just that like with what I'm saying here there may be the hidden hope that in some way what is said ends up profound. Either an attempt to prove that the individual writing has their own hidden depths or maybe that a chance comment might spark something profound in someone else. Even better that the words will create a feeling and that feeling will lead someone to come back again or to look at what the writer is trying to sell them. Not necessarily a monetary sale, perhaps rather sell them an idea.

Do I hope I'm being profound? Maybe if I'm honest I would say a little. I'm not honest with myself at least so I'll lie to me and say "no I'm not". :) I refuse to be profound on sheer principle. I did however manage to finally say something so the word wasn't pointless.

No comments: